PhD in Biomedical Science, University of Missouri
Mentor: Frank Booth, PhD
Thesis: exercise and inactivity effects on adipose tissue re-distribution in young animals - application to childhood obesity
Master’s degree in Exercise Physiology, University of Missouri
Thesis: Body Composition in Athletes
Original peer-reviewed research articles (newest to oldest)
1. Roberts M, Bayless D, Childs T, Company JM, Jenkins N, Padilla J, Martin J, Dalbo V, Booth F, Rector S, Laughlin MH. Irisin precursor FNDC5 mRNA is elevated in skeletal muscle during obesity in OLETF rats. Metab. Accepted and in press.
2. Company JM, Booth FW, Laughlin MH, Arce-Esquivel AA, Sacks HS, Bahouth SW, and Fain JN. Epicardial fat gene expression after aerobic exercise training in pigs with coronary atherosclerosis: relationship to visceral and subcutaneous fat. J Appl Physiol. 109(6): 1904-12, 2010
3. Company JM & Ball SD. Body composition comparison: bioelectric impedance analysis with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in adult athletes. Meas Phys Ed Ex Sci, 14:3, 186-201, 2010.
Peer-reviewed review articles
4. Roberts M, Company JM, Brown J, Toedebusch R, Padilla J, Jenkins N, Laughlin MH, Booth F. Potential clinical translation of juvenile rodent inactivity models to study the onset of childhood obesity. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 303(3): R247-58, 2012. PMID: 22696577
Articles in review process
5. Roberts M, Brown J, Company JM, Oberle L, Heese A, Toedebusch R, Wells K, Cruthirds C, Ferreira A, Childs T, Brown M and Booth F. Phenotypic differences between rats selectively-bred to voluntarily run high versus low nightly distances. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. Addressing major comments.
6. Roberts M, Cruthirds C, Childs T, Company JM, Brown J, Toedebusch R, Lockwood C, and Booth F. Serum metabolic response to an extensively hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate or its native whey in rats. Eur J Nutr. Under review.
Articles in preparation
7. Company JM and Booth FW. Sudden decrease in activity increases adipocyte hyperplasia in sexually mature, but not pre-sexually mature rats. Comments: final version is near-completion; to be submitted to Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol in Feb 2013.
8. Roberts M, Toedebusch R, Wells K, Brown J, Company JM, Childs T, and Booth F. Transcriptional profiling by RNA deep sequencing of the nucleus accumbens in rats selectively-bred to voluntarily run high versus low nightly distances. Comments: data collection and RNA-seq are complete; to be submitted to Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol in Mar 2013.
9. Company JM, Roberts M, Toedebusch R, Wells K, and Booth F. Glucocordicoid blockage prevents weight gain with wheel lock: A transcriptional profiling by RNA deep sequencing of perirenal adipose tissue. Comments: data is being analyzed and manuscript is in preparation; to be submitted to Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol in April 2013.
Book chapters in review process
10. Roberts M and Company JM. Fatty acid supplements. Sports Nutrition: Enhancing Sports Performance. Campbell W (Ed). CRC Press: New York (completed; to be published 2013)
11. Booth FW & Company JM. Local adaptation in trained human skeletal muscle could preferentially bind blood interleukin-6. Experimental Physiology. 94(11): 1099-1100, 2009.
Awarded an Pre-Doctoral American Heart Association grant in 2011.
American College of Sports Medicine - Midwest Region: Graduate Student Research Award & Oral Presentation at conference.
Licensed Massage Therapist, ACMS, Elkhart, IN
Minor in Chemistry, Goshen College, Goshen, IN
Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Goshen College, Goshen, IN
Doctoral Candidate in Biomedical Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
Owner: Endurance Company, LLC. Personnal Endurance Coach: Advising/Guiding endurance athletes in triathlon, running, and cycling.
Personal Endurance Coach: Advising/Guiding long course triathletes, cyclists, and runners.
Master’s research in Exercise Physiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
Licensed massage therapist
Strength & Conditioning coach, trainer, massage therapist, FC Indiana, semi-pro women’s soccer team.
High School Mathematics Teacher, Wawasee High School, Syracuse, IN
Assistant Cross Country & Track Coach, Goshen College, Goshen, IN.
Head Track Coach Track Coach, Wawasee High School, Syracuse, IN.
Assistant Track Coach, Goshen College, Goshen, IN.
TriZoo Sprint Triathlon ELITE, Columbia, MO: 3rd overall
Shakespeare’s Duathlon, Columbia, MO: 1st overall ***
TriZoo Sprint Triathlon ELITE, Columbia, MO: 3rd overall ***
Jay Dix 5k, Columbia, MO: 2nd overall
KC International Tri, Kansas City, MO: 1st overall * ** ***
Topeka TinMan Olympic Triathlon, Topeka, KS: 1st overall * ** ***
Fresh Ideas Quartermax Triathlon, Innsbrook, MO: 1st overall ** ***
Big Shark Triathlon, New Town, MO: 1st overall * ** ***
Missouri State Time Trial Championships, Jeff City, MO: 4th overall
Branson 70.3 Triathlon, Branson, MO: 5th age group
Joker’s Wild 5k, St. Louis, MO: 1st age group
Austin 70.3, Austin, TX, 2nd age group, 7th overall age group
Best of US triathlon, Mission Viejo, CA: 9th overall ** ***
Redman International Triathlon, Oklahoma City, OK: 3rd overall
NEMO Triathlon, Kirksville, MO: 1st overall ***
Fresh Ideas Quartermax Triathlon, Innsbrook, MO: 1st overall * ** ***
TriZoo Sprint Triathlon ELITE, Columbia, MO: 4th overall elite
Shakespeare's Duathlon, Columbia, MO: 2nd overall ***
Galloping Gobbler (4 mile road race), Ft. Wayne, IN: 2nd age group
Ironman 70.3 World Championships, Clearwater, FL
Best of the US Triathlon, Tempe, AZ: 22nd overall ***
NEMO Triathlon, Kirksville, MO: 1stoverall ***
Trail of Tears Triathlon, Cape Girardeau, MO: 1st overall ***
Show-Me State Games Triathlon, Columbia, MO: 1st overall, * ** ***
Fresh Ideas Quartermax Triathlon, Innsbrook, MO: 1st overall ***
Tri-Shark Triathlon, Bloomington, IL: 2nd overall ***
Kansas 70.3, Lawrence, KS: 16th overall age group ***
Galloping Gobbler (4 mile road race), Ft. Wayne, IN: 14th overall
St. Jude half marathon, Memphis, TN: 14th overall
Ironman Florida, Panama City, FL: 28th/63 PRO; 97th/2185 overall
Columbia half marathon, Columbia, MO: 1st overall
Ironman Canada, Penticton, CA: 22th/31 PRO; 57th/2246 overall
Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3, Benton Harbor, MI: 9th overall
TriZoo Sprint Triathlon, Columbia, MO: 6th pro
Halfmax half ironman National Champs, Innsbrook, MO: 17th overall
Jay Dix Challenge for a Cure 10k, Columbia, MO: 3rd overall
Shakespeare’s Duathlon, Columbia, MO: 2nd overall ***
Huff 50k Trail Run, Huntington, IN: 8th overall
DeSoto Triple T Triathlon, OH: 2nd team age group
Ironman Florida: 26/49 Pro; 53rd overall
Grand Haven 1/2 iron: 4th elite ***
Jay Dix Race for a Cure 10k: 2nd overall
Race for Sight Triathlon: 4th elite
Who Tri’s Harder: 5th overall
Evergreen Olympic Triathlon: 8th overall
Pumpkinman Olympic Triathlon: 10th overall
Great Race half marathon, Elkhart, IN: 9th overall
Silverman Triathlon, NV (Iron distance): 2nd overall
Ironman Brazil, Florianopolis, Brazil: 19th Pro
Ralph’s California Half Ironman: 26th Pro
Spirit of Racine Triathlon (half IM): 11th Pro
Macatawa Tri, Holland, MI: 2nd overall ***
Grand Haven International Tri: 2nd overall ** ***
Three Rivers Triathlon, MI: 4th overall
Niles Triathlon, MI (sprint): 2nd overall ***
Lake City Distance Classic Marathon, Warsaw, IN: 4th overall
Huff 50k Trail Ultra, Huntington, IN: 9th overall
Macatawa Tri, Holland, MI: 3rd overall
Warsaw Tri, Warsaw, IN: 5rd overall
Cutting Edge Triathlon, Effingham, IL (half IM): 7th overall
Muncie Endurathon, Muncie, IN (half IM): 12th Pro
Spirit of Racine Triathlon, Racine, WI (half IM): 10th Pro
Three Rivers Triathlon, MI: 6th overall
Niles Triathlon, Niles, MI: 4th overall
Ironman Florida, Panama City Beach, FL
Muncie Endurathon (half IM), Muncie, IN: 6th pro
Dairyland Triathlon (half IM), Racine, WI: 12th pro
Ironman Wisconsin, Madison, WI: 34th pro
Ironman Florida, Panama City Beach, FL: 38th pro
Tri Shark Triathlon, LeRoy, IL: 3rd age group, 13th overall
Ironhorse Triathlon, Springfield, IL: 5th age group, 25th overall
USA triathlon Age Group National Champs, Coeur d’Alene, ID
Ultramax triathlon (iron-distance triathlon): 1st age group, 5th overall
Tri Shark Triathlon, LeRoy, IL: 5th overall
Three Rivers Triathlon, Three Rivers, MI: 1st age group, 10th overall
Optimist City of Lakes Triathlon, Warsaw, IN: 1st age group, 7th overall
Muncie Endurathon, Muncie, IN: 7th age group
Gulf Coast Triathlon, Panama City Beach, FL: 14th age group
Shelbyville Tri Series, IN: 5th overall
Three Rivers Triathlon, Three Rivers, MI: 2nd age group
Steelcase Grand Duathlon, MI: 2nd age group
Tri Shark Triathlon, LeRoy, IL: 4th age group
Great Lakes Triathlon, MI: 5th age group
Seahorse Triathlon, MI: 6th age group
Three Rivers Triathlon, Three Rivers, MI: 7th age group
Kankakee Triathlon, Kankakee, IL: 1st age group
Steelcase Grand Duathlon, MI: 7th age group
* Course Record
** Bike Course Record
*** Fastest Bike Split
Prior to 2000, I competed in Track events, focusing on the 400m and 800m.
Half marathon: 1:20:26
25 mile TT: 54:58
Race Director and creator - Assembly Triathlon, Goshen, IN.
Race Director - Mennonite Central Committee 5k, Goshen, IN